The original church on this site was built some time between 1070 and 1130 and would have consisted of a simple nave and chancel. Remains of the decorative work of this period can be seen in the 12th century diapered lintel over the west doorway.
Built in the early 14th century but with traces of a 12th century building still in evidence. The Church was altered in 15th and 19th centuries. Of historical note is The Grenville Aisle, which features stone coffins arranged like a chest of drawers. Buried here are 3 Dukes and 3 Prime Ministers. The Tower has a particularly good ring of 6 bells, as well as a full set of hand bells.